Camper Leadership Programs
One of Falling Creek’s primary goals is to create opportunities for young men to develop leadership skills. As campers mature, opportunities increase as campers enter our 10th and 11th grade leadership programs.
Forging Leaders INTentionally
FLINT is for boys who have completed 10th grade. Campers in this age group are regular campers and have the freedom to sign up for the activities or trips of their choice. They may continue to work on their progressions in various activities, many having a required leadership component for the rank of Ranger or Warrior. Ccomponents of the program are intentionally designed to foster leadership, service, responsibility, and teamwork. They include:
- Induction Ceremony.
- Special day trip for FLINT group.
- Serve milk and cookies to camp community after evening programs.
- Leadership role in planning special events.
- Mentoring with FLINT leaders discussing leadership development.
- Build and tend the community campfire for Sunday night campfires.
FLINT campers are eligible to apply to the STEEL program for the following summer.
Summer Training Encouraging Emerging Leaders
STEEL is our camper leadership program formerly known as Counselor-in-Training (CIT). It is for former Falling Creek campers who have completed 11th grade. The selection process is highly competitive and space is limited. It is an honor to be selected to join the STEEL program and marks the final summer as a FCC camper. Not all applicants will be offered spaces.
STEEL is intentionally designed to foster leadership, service, responsibility, and teamwork. Here are a few highlights:
- Applicants go through a selection process similar to a job interview.
- Selection is limited to a small program size.
- Participants live together in a cabin with their peers and an experienced counselor.
- Induction ceremony .
- Leadership training.
- Opportunities to gain hands-on leadership skills while assisting counselors in activities and working with younger campers in a cabin setting.
- Serve ice cream sundae extravaganza after lunch on Sundays.
- Leadership role in planning an all camp special event.
- Evaluation with STEEL mentors to monitor participant’s leadership development.
- Enjoy weekly “day off” to bond with other STEEL participants and mentors.
After completion of the STEEL program, participants are asked to take a summer off to gain experience in another setting. As freshman in college we welcome them to apply to become FCC staff members.