The Best Job You Ever Had
Community with Purpose
It is referred to as, “The Camp Bubble.” Camp is a place where everyone helps, respects, tries their best, and does the right thing. We ask each camper and staff member to pledge to follow our code and live it every day.
I fondly hold Falling Creek Camp in concert with the most special and remarkable places that I’ve had the privilege to experience.” —Counselor
The Falling Creek Code
- Live with courage
- Always do your best
- Strengthen your body, mind, and spirit
- Follow the Golden Rule
- Treat everyone with respect
- Make friendship a fine art
- Take initiative to help others
- Be fun to be around
- Live with enthusiasm
- Focus on the positive
- Be grateful for God’s blessings
- Do the right thing
- Act with integrity
- Take responsibility for your actions
- Tell the truth
Personal & Professional Development
We offer staff opportunites to increase their skills and knowledge from the day they are hired and throughout the summer.
We send resources in the mail, e-mail, and have extensive online offerings while you are away from camp.
In May, everyone takes part in our week-long Staff Development and Camp Orientation. Some staff members actually arrive two to three weeks prior to this to attend certification clinics specific to their position at camp.
During the summer, we offer opportunities every week for our staff. It may be during the weekly staff meeting, a guest speaker, or an inservice training for a group of counselors.
Each day at camp brings adventure and opportunity for personal and professional growth.
- We offer 11 weeks of employment that fits perfectly with your summer break.
- Generous scheduled weekly time off you can spend to recharge your batteries and to explore wonderful Western North Carolina.
By teaching activities, your own skills will improve. Perfecting the basics with the campers on a day-to-day basis gives you a solid foundation for your own adventures.
We don’t start you at the bottom and give you busywork; you are directly involved in running camp and helping campers succeed. You are responsible for eight campers in your cabin, as well as campers you instruct in activities.
You have to market your activity. We have 28 activities at camp, and they all compete for the campers’ time. Some days you’ll have a chance to offer a program or activity out of the “norm.” This is your chance to shine. Let the campers see what you’re excited about.
- We offer a competitive and progressive pay structure.
- You’ll receive the pay at the end of the summer, but you can withdraw weekly advances to pay bills or use on your time off.
- Room and Board is included during your time of employment.
- You’ll never be short on exercise at camp. We walk or hike everywhere, and most evenings we play an active large-group game that involves everyone.
- We require you to come with personal health insurance coverage, but we provide Workman’s Compensation Coverage.
- Our Health Center is staffed with three nurses 24/7. We also have a doctor living on-site each week. They help campers and staff with routine health needs.
- You may take advantage of staff-organized early morning exercise offerings and bible study fellowship groups.
- Camp is a place where lifelong friendships begin. You’ll meet campers and staff members that will stick with you forever.
- Networking: Camp opens up a great network of alumni and parents who are employers and business owners. They know what it takes to be a camp counselor and the broad set of skills you possess.