HUCK Ottawa

Dates Length Cost
July 22nd – July 29th, 2014 8 Days $1,950 (excludes airfare)

Day 1

Arrive at the airport, meet the group, and travel to base camp.

Day 2

We will run the easier of the two channels on the river. Below McCoy’s the river cuts its way through a large group of islands in the remotest part of the Rocher-Fendu (the name for this part of the world). The islands create a visual paradise and a variety of options for every water level. The first rapids could be any of the following depending on water level; Lost Channel, Iron Ring or Little Trickle. The river is famous for its tight, technical rapids. That’s river talk for zigging and zagging.

You’ll be thrilled with such classics as Butterfly, Angel’s Kiss, Garvin’s Chute, Lower Garvin, Rollercoaster, Rock and Roll and smooth as silk, Black Velvet. We plan to have lunch at one of the most amazing lunch spots of all time! Talk about a table with a view!

Day 3

We will move over to the main river corridor. Spending lots of time scouting the rapids on this channel, looking at all of the different lines, surfing a few of the most famous spots! This channel is characterized by towering waves and big hydraulics.

It provides a “rock-em, sock-em” rollercoaster ride in the waves. This channel is filled with great rapids – Lorne, Push Button, Butcher Knife, Lunch Stop Waves, Normans, Coliseum, Dog Leg and Blacks.

Days 4-7

We plan to run all of the various lines at each of the big rapids. Catching eddies and moving around in the big water will be part of our day. The waves and holes range in size from perfect for your first time to world class, which will allow the expedition members to practice playboating and learning new tricks! We will also ride the Dragon’s back and do a couple of other really great ferry moves towards the end of the week!

Day 8

Pack up, travel to the airport, and fly home.

Air Travel Information

What airport will my son fly into?

If your son is flying, please purchase a plane ticket to Ottawa City International airport (YOW). If you want to drive to Ottawa City, please plan to meet the trip leaders at the Ottawa City airport.

Is airfare included in the cost of the trip?

Because we have campers traveling from all over the US, airfare to the Ottawa City is not included in the cost of HUCK Ottawa.

When should I purchase my tickets?

Once your son has been accepted to HUCK Ottawa, you will receive a letter containing specific flight information, at which point you can purchase your son’s plane tickets.

What if my son has connecting flights?

If your son must make a connection, give him plenty of time to make the flight in the event of a delay. We will inform you of a target time for arrival at the airport once details are finalized. Your son may need to leave early in the morning to connect to his final destination.

How will I know that my son has arrived safely and connected with the group on the opening day?

Once all members of HUCK Ottawa arrive, trip leaders will contact Falling Creek and Falling Creek will then contact each family.

Where will my son go once he arrives at the airport?

Trip leaders will be wearing a Falling Creek staff polo and waiting for your son as he exits the security area.

What about flying as an unaccompanied minor?

Each airline has its own policy for unaccompanied minors. We suggest you contact the airline directly. Falling Creek will give you the names and phone numbers of the HUCK Ottawa leaders who will meet your son at the gate. Keep in mind that most airlines will not allow unaccompanied minors to travel on the last flight of the day.

Are there any extra expenses or fees imposed by the airlines for teens?

Airlines charge different fees for teens under 15, so if your son is flying as an unaccompanied minor, we suggest that you confirm this prior to departure to be sure all fees are paid in advance. Also, keep in mind that there are extra fees for overweight and extra bags.

What if I have trouble with my flights on the opening day?

In the unlikely event that you have trouble on opening day, we are here to help and keep you informed.

Can we meet our son at the Ottawa City (YOW) international airport after his trip?

Yes. Please let Falling Creek know of this plan prior to the start of the trip.

Travel Documents

Will my son need a passport or visa?

All campers on HUCK Ottawa will need their valid passport with an expiration date of at least 90 days later than the end date of the trip. If you do not already have a passport, you should begin the process as soon as you enroll for HUCK Ottawa. You can apply for a passport at your local Post Office or visit It typically takes six weeks to receive your passport once you have submitted your application. Please send us a scanned copy of your passport. Leave a photocopy of your passport at home when you leave for your adventure and bring a copy with you as well. Also, please read the Identification section listed below and send these items ahead of time to Falling Creek. All forms should be turned in no later than April 1st.

A visa is not required for travel in Canada.

Please refer to the following statement from the State Department website:

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document.  The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

What are the entry and exit requirements for Canada?

For entry/exit into Canada, your son must present the following:

  • A valid passport
  • A roundtrip/outbound ticket
  • A copy of his birth certificate
  • A letter signed by a parent and notarized by a notary public (Falling Creek will send this letter to you)
What special travel documents are needed for travel in Canada?

To enter the US, all members of HUCK Ottawa will need a signed notarized letter from both parents stating that the Falling Creek Staff have permission from the parents or guardians to supervise their child. The notarized letter should include the name and contact information for each parent, a copy of a state issued ID, and the dates of the trip. A sample letter will be included in your welcome packet.

Additional Information

Is there a program for medical evacuation insurance in the case of a medical emergency?

Several insurance agencies offer basic travel insurance, which includes $25,000 of medical coverage and $50,000 of medical evacuation coverage. HUCK Ottawa is remote, and any serious injury will require transportation to the nearest hospital by helicopter. Falling Creek encourages you to check with your insurance provider to see if travel insurance is needed for medical coverage during the trip.

How does my son exchange money and what is the exchange rate?

He can exchange money at the YOW airport or in the town where we will be based. Please visit for the appropriate exchange rate. Your son will need very little money, the program price includes gear, food, lodging and essential items. Please make sure your son has travel money for opening and closing day.

What about packing lists, boats, and other related gear?

If your son has his own gear, he is welcome to use it on HUCK Ottawa. If he would like to use Falling Creek’s gear, that is fine. The trip leaders will be driving boats and gear to the Ottawa City Airport. If your son would like to use his gear in Canada, it will need to arrive in Canada on or before July 16th, 2014 and be labeled with your son’s name.

Download the HUCK Ottawa Packing List

If you have questions regarding boats for HUCK Ottawa, please call Ben Williams at the camp office.

Can I call my son while he's on the trip?

The trip will have a cell phone. However, coverage will be spotty. Please contact Falling Creek if you need to reach the group. The trip leaders will work with campers to update a blog with pictures and stories when they have internet access.

What will the communication be in the days leading up to the trip?

Our leaders will touch base with you a few days before your son departs, to confirm his arrival. When arriving at the airport, be assured that a Falling Creek leader will be there to meet him at the exit from the gate area wearing a Falling Creek polo. We will be there to greet him even if his plane is late. If he is traveling as an unaccompanied minor, a leader will be waiting for him at his gate.

Useful Websites

Ottawa City International Airport
State Department